Thursday, November 12, 2009

interstates

I meant to write a bit about interstates. Especially Interstate 40, which is one of the major routes across the u.s.
Ive driven just over 1100 miles in 2 days. A lot of that was interstate driving. The destination was more important than the journey this time.
The interstate is boring and hypnotizes your senses. I get more tried driving 100 miles on interstate than 300 miles on a state or u.s. highway.
In Arkansas I took highway 71 through part of the state which went through the ozarks and was interesting.
Next day I took highway 70 through a lot of tennessee. Instead of 8 hours it took 10, but at least most of it was not on interstate.
I also hate truck stop type places along the interstate.
You have to go inside and pay first for gas, which probably keeps drivoffs down, but it still just so impersonal.
Much rather stop in some small town convenience store. Get the gas and a soda and maybe chat a bit.
Anyway, home at last.
home as in east tennessee

2 comments:

  1. I just drove 1700 miles and filled up at many of the truck stops, and I never had to go in to pay. I used my debit card.

    And watch out for deer. They're ruttin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are having a good trip JJ, keep us posted on the sights.

    Whew, 1700 miles, don't envy you! :)

    ReplyDelete