Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thursday

Good Thursday morning.
Cop notes are posted. I have decided to end my little experiment with names and go ahead and include them most of the time.
Ill just use my own judgment as to when to leave them out or include them.
One example is cases of rape. Obviously we do not include the victim's name. Since it may be a very long time until the case is resolved, and because it is so hard to get court results, I am planning on not listing the name of the accused either. There will be exceptions of course, but ... that's the plan at the moment.
But the readers have spoken. I think to some extent a news organization should be responsive to its readers in giving them what they want.
I would love to write long stories about the history of Arkansas City. I like the stories the Brand-X main reporter does on historical things. He is really good at that. But, I don't think readers are all that interested. If I am wrong on that, let me know.
I do want to know what you want.

Fanzz General Banner 120x60

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, its not a good idea to include either name in rape cases, rather embarrassing to both parties. As for court? Even on a plea bargain it can take at least 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually agree with everything you said in that post JJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe its just my imagination, but I cant get todays cop notes up. Still says for Aug 12th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The link is fixed now, but you may have to refresh your page to get it to work.
    The date is wrong.
    Ill fix that tomorrow morning
    But for now, the cop notes are up to date and working

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, here goes again, jj. it's just a matter of time till someone gets sued over publishing of names, etc. i know, i know, public information. but, the reality is we live in a VERY litigous minded society, and there are no shortage of ambulance chasing lawyers that will bring any kind of hair brained suit. i.e., pain & suffering, mental damage, etc. i think that is why brand x quit publishing "hospital notes". A big corporation does not have to worry too much, cause the insurance companies cover such. i understand it's lots easier to "cut & paste", rather than surgically reword each count. but, my question again is: what's the point? why does anyone in town need to know i got a speeding ticket? again, my answer is it's none of their business. do what you want, jj. but, again you asked, so as forrest gump would say, "that's all i've got to say about that." :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you can't stand seeing your name in print, don't do anything to get your name in print. It's simple really. Even Forrest could understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So explain to me why the public shouldn't know who's beating the hell out of someone or who's furnishing liquor to minors. As to your question about who needs to know that you got a speeding ticket? Sounds to me more like you're worried you're insurance company may find out.
    If i recall right, brand x quit publishing hospital notes due to changes in privacy laws.

    ReplyDelete
  8. still don't know how nobody's been sued over it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a public record. There is no suit to be had.
    The only thing could be if you started playing favorites, holding back some names but not others.
    I think not naming victims is legitimate as long as you are consistent.
    Hospitals have overreacted to the HIPPA laws, and wont give out anything now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How many times does it have to be said. The names are public record. No one can sue for having names released. Give up on that argument already.

    ReplyDelete