Friday, October 2, 2009

First weekend in October - the music

It is depressing - weird even - to think that this is the first weekend of October and I'm NOT up to my ears in the River of Life Music Festival.
There won't be one this year.
Maybe this winter. Maybe next year. I dont think its dead entirely. Just have to wait and see.
Lots of things came together to make me not do it this year.
Part of the reason - and the final reason - was spiritual. My comrade in arms the first year - Telisa Rohr - always talked about following the spirit, and feeling led by the spirit, to do this or that. I don't go on feelings as much as that, but it is still important to have that spiritual certainty.
The first two years I felt that spiritual energy that gives you the faith and strength to do all things by the power of the Lord. I did not really feel that this year. It just was not there. There could be many reasons for that, but, bottom line, without that, it just couldn't happen.
Also the first couple of years, with that spiritual wind behind us, we knew that things would fall into place when they needed to. Things would just appear when needed.
This year, seemed the reverse was happening. There is a critical time, when things need to happen. About the first of August the wheels need to be set in motion. The wheels were just spinning at that time and there seemed to be no traction at all.
Once you get into mid-august, late august, its just too late to make it happen. Once we got into September, there was still no traction, so ... there was no option other than just letting it go.
We tried the monthly concerts, and they were not well attended. I think that sapped some of our energy as well. All these things happened in August, during that critical time, and that is what happened.
I was trying to find a new location. And was hoping to get the Cowley track, where we would still be close to the river and have electricity.
It seemed like it was going well and we were headed in that direction. But when it came down to it, we could not get it. I'm not casting dispersions here, but Cowley officials at first were favorable, but they were concerned about what we might do to the soccer field there. They had a match coming right up a few days later, and were worried that we might mess up the field, so they did not approve it at the end of negotiations.
Wilson Park was still available, and that was a great possibility.
But then, I sent out emails and feelers to see who would be helping me this year. Again, I don't mean to cast stones at anyone, but there just seemed no one was going to be available to help. There were two exceptions, but by and large, there were just not many people at all willing to commit to be there with me. I just needed to know that there would be people available to help out here and there.
I did not have the energy to do it all myself, so that was a huge obstacle.
There was a church that talked about taking it over for this year, but at the end, they decided not to.
The final blow I guess, was when I contacted Remedy Drive. They were our main band the previous two years. They wanted to come, but could not come in October. They are doing
That should not have been such a big deal perhaps. There are other bands.
But, it just seemed to take the final breath out of my sails.
So here we are. First of October. Theres no music.
Im a bit bummed today. But you never know what tomorrow will bring. So we shall see.

10 comments:

  1. Guess Scott Roeder had another victim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a health issue with me for this past year. I DO plan to be better, God willing, and when that happens I would very much enjoy getting back with you on making a concert happen!

    I think you needed a season to recuperate and re-tool from all the changes in your life, as well. The concert is a wonderful dream that you've held for several years and what you have done over the past two years has blessed Cowley County!!

    So, it's a time to rest, heal, and re-tool for many of us.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is ok, jj. We had fun. ditto Monica here. It'll come back when it's time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea its ok, I just felt like writing about it. Didnt want people to think I just forgot. :)
    which some days is entirely possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. JJ,

    Sometimes we shouldn't measure our success by what we make happen as much as what happens around us.
    I was told that the K-State band was something like 3 city blocks long and would take several buses to transport.
    While I understand that does not replace or diminsh your concert or those who would attend it!
    Good things are happening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a good point, and we dont really know what is a success or a failure until much later.
    Someone asked Kruschev what he thought about the French Revolution. he said, "its too early to tell."
    I just wanted to let people know what happened, and why it wasnt happening.
    It was a great ride. Only time will tell what the future holds there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From the greatest Book ever written: (IMO) "...rest awhile."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't remember that line from War and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. IMO means "In my opinion." Perhaps W&P isn't the greatest ever in that person's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas perhaps ?

    ReplyDelete