Tuesday, June 23, 2009

computer angst

Im so angry I could throw my computer through something. Way things are going, I would probably miss and it would bounce back and smack me upside the head.
Usually takes about 10 minutes to get a story up on the web site. Tonight its been at least two hours. About the fourth try it gets crazy, so it may not be all that great, but I think it is readable.
I got one of those real nasty viruses on my computer. It is the one that wants you to download another program to clean it up. They want $40. Id rather buy a new computer.
I'm not going to be extorted.
Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of this virus? It is not actually a virus. It is really a nefarious program that attaches itself to something else and gets in your system that way.
I have found it, but it won't let me delete it, or it goes away and comes back.
Norton anti-virus didn't even see it. I called Norton, and they wanted $49 to get it off my system by hooking up to it through the internet. It was their blasted anti-virus program that let it slip through and they want extra money to fix the problem? They want even more than the crooks who created the problem in the first place.
As I said. Thousands for battle, not one penny for extortion.
Remember, that it was NORTON ANTIVIRUS, that choked in the crunch. So don't buy that nasty stuff.
Ok, that's my rant for this evening.
I feel a little better.


Pet Health Insurance for Cats & Dogs

13 comments:

  1. I got bit once by this virus... incidentally because I clicked "next blog" at the top of the screen and landed on a contaminated site. I ended up disconnecting from the internet, saving all my critical documents to CD's, and reformatting my computer. It's a hassle but at least I didn't have to pay anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know the name of the virus? Are your Norton virus definitions up to date?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhmmm, call Ralph McDonald?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try Panda or Kasperky anti-virus. Ralph can help you. If your computer is over a year old or so you might as well buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it costs money to web site a server, but part of the problem is all the "crap" aka advertising your throwing on the site. Many of those programs have functions to cause them to keep reloading. In your instances when leaving your site, the window will reload several times before you can get it closed. AVG, with it's spam blockers about the best out there right now and it's free. Damn sight cheaper than McDonald crap...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have Norton quit and went to Avast.
    Its free! Automatically Updates at least once
    a day! As for Norton you'll have a chore on your hands deleting that from your computer. You'll
    have to reveal all the hidden files and delete them as it imbeds itself in all kinds of files!
    It might take a couple of hours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take your machine to Discount Computers on South D Street
    Dave really knows his stuff, in fact I would say he is easily the best mechanic around and a nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to hear there is someone else where I can go for my computer needs. Tried Ralph once, he pretty much sucked in the customer service dept., as a personal as a rattlesnake, and PRICEY

    ReplyDelete
  9. When dealing with Ralph, it is best to shout "Prise jesus" at random times. This will ensure better service. Works with JJ too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What does "Prise Jesus" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I run Norton System Works, Internet Protection and anti-virus and am impressed. I do admit though, it can be tricky to install properly for novice computer users.

    You have to keep in mind you need more then anti-virus to maintain your system. You need to clean up your registry and do basic housekeeping to keep a puter happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The only time I go to any McDonalds is for a heart stopping bag for there delish French fries and BM and that is the only McDonalds I’ll ever go in.

    I learned my lesion twice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I take that back I would go to any McDonald’s for a BM

    ReplyDelete