Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Traffic rerouted for PrairieFest

PrairieFest is this weekend, and its moving downtown this year. It was held downtown many years ago when it started, so it is sort of a homecoming for the spring arts festival.
This means traffic will be blocked at Summit Street Thursday through Sunday evening.
Traffic is already blocked a the bypass and traffic is being re-routed, so there may be even more confusion this weekend.
For PrairieFest, Summit will be closed from Chestnut to Central. One block Central, from First to Summit, in front of city hall, will also be closed.
Traffic will be routed to first street, and to A street, to detour during the festival.
The detour for the closed bypass will also be in effect. That one mostly involves going down Kansas to F street, which is called the old truck route, and on down to Madison and to the end of the bypass.
Since the bypass has been closed, there has been more traffic going through downtown the last few days.
How is everyone doing with the traffic?
The only problem I have had, has been getting over to Greens Farm Road.

5 comments:

  1. Why was it moved in the first place? What was the logic behind this move? It seems to me, perhaps I am missing something, that the new location benefits about 9 people. Can my kids still play at the playground at the park while I peruse the artwork?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the park will still be open for use.
    I think the festival has struggled in recent years. There was the desire to inject a bit of life into it. There was also the desire to promote the downtown area.
    Organizers saw it as an opportunity to do both.
    That was their rationale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am not trying to be a hard to get along with but I think I will avoid the down town area this weekend. With all of the extra traffic that is going through the down town already with the by pass blocked, it makes it difficult to get around during high traffic times. Now, add all of the people this weekend flocking to the festival and the added extra traffic it will be congested. Someone was not using their thinking caps!Or should I say several someones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get what you're saying on that, the traffic is horrible. I thought it was just my imagination, but since others are thinking that way. I don't know if they are already, but the police needs to patrol the summit area more. I'm getting tired of being almost ran down on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I will not be going. Too bad, it will be the first one I have missed in years. The park was a great place for the fest. Moving downtown is only for the merchants (chamber?) who happen to be in cahoots with the arts council. Mr. J, are there people who represent both organizations? Is the arts council building downtown this year? I know it's not Denton anymore.

    ReplyDelete