Saturday, June 20, 2009

Why

Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say.
A couple people on here - and a couple in the material world - have asked me why I am staying in Arkansas City. There is nothing to hold me here now. Well there is a house that we are paying for, so I guess a mortgage could, but ... that wouldn't be enough by itself.
I have lived other places, and I have traveled a lot around the country. Maybe some of those people who don't like Arkansas City have not.
I know I felt that way about the town I grew up in, until I was away from it for about 10 years. I don't really want to move back there, but at least I don't think negatively towards it anymore.
I could show you a lot worse places, even in Kansas or Oklahoma. There are better places too.
I guess the place has just grown on me. We could go anywhere we want to go, but we are staying here.
I have made some friends, I have gotten involved here and there. I like a lot of people here.
I see an opportunity also to make a difference. We need to move the city forward, and I want to be part of that. We just need to get out of the negative way of thinking, and to get out of the backbiting and criticism.
There are things that are wrong here. There are people at fault. But it is not any different - or any worse - than anywhere else. It is real easy to point fingers and criticize.
I want to try to get the town away from that.
We need to decide where we want to go, what we want to be, and make that happen.
I know, there are lots of reasons that cant happen, but ... rehearsing reasons gets us nowhere.
There are lots of reasons good things can happen too.
Anyone with me?


16 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to stay, jj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to run for city commission? Not to be negative but there are a couple of changes that could be made in the city commission that would make a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are a couple of changes that could be made in the city commission that would make a world of difference.
    --

    Yes, Mell and Doty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my intention at this time. But it is two years away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much rather see Mell stay on than JJ

    oh no, no no no no no.

    ReplyDelete
  7. James, I agree with you. I was raised in Ark City and went to High School and College here. Found the love of my life and had 3 children here. Then we decided to see what was out there and left for 23 years. We only returned because of a illness in the family. We had no intentions of staying, but after being here awhile, we remember why our lives were so happy. With all the bull and bickering that occurs in this town, you really don't have to worry about being mugged walking out to get the paper. Ark City used to be a thriving city but I am ashamed to say now that those narrow minded people who control the in ands outs have not keep up with the times. There greed and lack of insight will someday disappear and those leaders with a vision will reign and hopefully Ark City can grow again. I am proud to be a home grown boy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh great JJ on the city commission....

    All he would do is cut-n-paste of citie's ordinances and present them at the meetings as his own....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, we need more positive thoughts not criticism and negativity. Progressive thinking is the only thing that will get the city out of this negative rut.

    ReplyDelete
  10. JJ - have you ever noticed that every time you have one of your concerts lately, it rains, quite a bit each time I think. Usually it is before but this time it is after. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea now that you mention it.
    But its only been for the monthly shows.
    The two festivals had no rain.
    Great show tonight by the way.
    Ill post more and pics tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  12. JJ you really think you can ride this little "pity party" for two more years until the elections?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, I knew the resident jerk would make his comment sooner or later - what took you so long Anom 10:07? If your not a fan of JJ's why even come around?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am one of those who visited with James about his continuing interest and passion for Arkansas City. Of course, any positive voice and energy, such as James offers, is much needed here. However, I genuinely believe that God has a way of closing doors on us to move us to places we might not otherwise go. So, maybe circumstances are to refocus us to a new work in the same location. Perhaps, it is to focus us to a greater work in a different location.
    From my facebook page for today:
    Don't forget that when God allows a flood, He's the God over the flood. When God allows adversity, He's the God over adversity. When God allows temptation, He's the God over temptation. Psalm 29: 10,11 He simply IS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, if JJ runs for commission, he has my vote, we do need more positive and enthusiastic people in our town. sometimes this place really gets on my nerves, but I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous said... sometimes this place really gets on my nerves, but I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

    And with that, we find that Ark City really is in the thick with most communities. I think those words are spoken by citizens in practically every community in these United States of America.

    ReplyDelete