Friday, September 4, 2009

PrairieFest meeting

PrairieFest struggled last year in the blazing sun downtown. Organizers are already getting started on next year.
There were seven or eight people at the meeting last night, and some ideas were kicked around.
They are going to continue changing the festival. It won't be downtown again, but I encouraged them to not abandon downtown totally. Maybe its not good to have it all downtown, but maybe they could have some of it there.
The idea of having it at Paris Park was discussed.
That might be a good idea. More room, more facilities, even if there is not a rotunda.
The festival itself was perhaps becoming a bit stale, and last year was a big stumbling block. But to credit those behind the festival, they are seeing their struggles as an opportunity. The opportunity is to re-invent the festival.
The next one will be the first week of June, somewhere around June 5-6. It will be bigger and different.
They can always use help and ideas. Get in touch with Teressa Swope-Hatfield at the arts center.

5 comments:

  1. I could not attend last night. Would they accept public suggestions through a blog or live blog or something. I hope the next meeting is not on Thursday night too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might check on the live blog. I think they would appreciate public suggestions.
    You might just be able to call the arts center and tell them what you would like.
    But the live blog might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teressa Swope-HatfieldSeptember 4, 2009 at 7:57 PM

    Yes, we welcome input in any fashion it may come! Thank you for your interest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teressa -

    I appreciate you all trying to make Prairefest better. I will say first I have only been around AC for about 15 years so I do not claim any knowledge about the Art Festival before that. My fondest memories of the festival was about 5-10 years ago when they were having some concerts at the Bonfy farm, at the College, in Winfield, as well as at the park. I do know that two of the driving forces behind those events are no longer living in the area. I also know that quite a bit of the funding for those events came from a grant and from Cowley, who I believe is not really involved anymore. I guess those festivals are what I would like to see the festival return to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teressa Swope-HatfieldSeptember 9, 2009 at 11:50 PM

    I so appreciate you takng time to give us your thoughts. I do know the people, very well, that you refer to as the "driving forces." I also realize Cowley had a big role in the more successful festivals, and I completely agree with you! I want to see those types of festivals return again.

    We have asked CCCC to partner again with us. Several of its staff members have agreed to do so. We are takng one step at a time in building this once popular event back to where it was.

    I wish, whomever you are, that you would call me. Perhaps, you would like to work alongside in seeing "our" dreams come to fruition.

    My goal is to put this festival back on the map. I want to see the park buzzing with excited people again. I want to see a headliner. I want all these things. I just can't do it with just a few hands. It will take the community working together to make this happen.

    I need you!

    Thanks so much again for taking the time to care enough to post your blog!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete